Wednesday, April 11, 2012

St Louis day two

Today I went to see the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis.  It has the most outstanding mosaics all over the interior, it has the largest collections of mosaics anywhere in the world.  It was done in the Romanesque style but was done in 1917.  Some of the mosaics seem to be fairly recent.  I heard a docent explaining the stories to some students.  I enjoyed the visit.

I then went to the City Garden.  It is filled with charming modern sculpture.  Many more than you would expect in such a small space.  Just as I was finishing up photographing the last piece my battery failed.  I was quite surprised since I had just charged it.

I took the camera back to the motel and tried to charge the battery but it wouldn't take a charge.  Off I went to Best Buy only to learn that batteries are no longer made for my camera - it is too old!  Well my choice was to not take pictures for the rest of the trip or buy another camera. So I bought another camera.  This is getting to be a very expensive trip without it even being the trip.

After buying the new camera I went off to see the Botanical Garden.  I thought it was open until 8:00 PM because it is Wednesday.  Turns out that is only true in the summer.  The nice woman at the admission desk let me in and said just pretend that I got lost.  The gardens were very lovely.  The azaleas were in blooms which really cheers a garden up.  They use the color green in so many wonderful ways, playing the shades off each other.  This is a Chilhulily arch, name spelled incorrectly.

Tomorrow it is off to Hannibal.

No comments:

Post a Comment