Sunday, April 22, 2012

San Antonio toured

This morning I tried to find the secret UU church.  They gave directions, but they were directions for people who already knew San Antonio.  Anyway I think I found the end of the instructions but I never found the street name that they claimed they were on.  I got out at the correct exit number but it had the wrong name, no one had ever heard of the street.  I finally gave up and went downtown to start sightseeing.

The first  thing I did was take a trolley car tour.  It was a hour ride around various locations.  They claimed we would see the Alamo and we sort of did if you count on seeing it through the trees and just a back wall.  We also saw several Missions.  The Spanish found very friendly Indians and taught them Spanish and how to farm.  These were tribes like Apaches and Comanches.  It took us to louse it up.  We also passed the Hemisphere which is very like the Space Needle.  The Hemisphere was built for the World's Fair in 1968 and the restaurant at the top spins around in an hour.  Germans seem to have settled much of Texas.  I don't know why.  But a lot of the tour talked about businesses and homes that the Germans built.  One of the most interesting things on the tour was a work of shadow art on a Texas University building.  It was designed by a 10 year old boy.  The horses get bigger as the day goes on.

After the trolley car ride I went looking for the River Walk.  Well let me tell you I walked and walked until I accidentally stumbled on it.  For some reason I had found myself in the one part of the city that didn't have signs pointing to River Walk.  Once found I was able to locate the river barge tours.  It was very enjoyable.  There wasn't that much to really see.  They pointed out a lot of hotels and gave us statistics on them.  One hotel, a Marriott, couldn't be taller than 16 stories because it would cast an afternoon shadow on the Alamo.  This is the stage that Sandra Bullock used in Miss Congeniality.

The Alamo was the last stop on my sightseeing tour.  It is treated more reverently than the Vatican.  No photographs are allowed inside, men have to remove their hats.  I'm surprised you don't have to genuflect in front of the names of the heroes.  It is very small and you do have to give the men a lot of credit for defending it for as long as they did.  The women and children hid in a small room and were spared.

I haven't decided where I am going tomorrow.  I will be heading towards Dallas/Fort Worth.  If I get tired I'll stop and see and see if there is anything interesting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment