Saturday, April 7, 2012

Saturday and some discoveries

My major discovery is that my schedule is upside down.  I should be traveling early in the morning rather than killing time until museums and exhibits open.  I have been so frustrated but it came to me today.  So since tomorrow is Sunday I will stay two nights in Little Rock and leave early for Eureka Springs, Arkansas on Monday.  I found a UU church on the web and will attend tomorrow.  Then after lunch I can get my sightseeing in.  Oh joy I will be on a normal schedule.  I also discovered I'm a little too friendly.  I need to cut back on that.  Most people don't seem to want to talk to strangers.  I'll work that out as well.

Anyway today I discovered the Cotton Museum, which is part of the Cotton Exchange.  I was fascinated by all the things that are done with every single bit of the cotton plant.  I really learned so much.  They had the history of the start of cotton growth and of course it wasn't so nice.  After the end of slavery the cotton plantation owners mechanized and threw the sharecroppers out of work.  Besides the process of cotton growing they explained all the different uses for the different parts of the plant.  Then they went into the different musicians that made up the Memphis sound.  I actually recognized Muddy Waters and maybe one or two others.  The history went back to the early 1800's.  It was a good accidental find.  Originally I was going to a museum that didn't open until noon.

I've wound up in Little Rock.  I spent 45 minutes searching for the Tour office that AAA said was at 500 President Clinton Ave.  I looked at other things, I wasn't just being dumb.  Well  no one has ever heard of this office.  500 P C Ave is the Museum of Discovery.  Little Rock has an electric trolley system that loops around the city.  It was free today, even though it is only fifty cents regularly.  So off I went to orient myself to the city.  This lets me know where I will be going tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment