Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Hateful GPS

Today was the day of betrayal by my GPS. A trip that should have taken 2 1/2 hours took more than 5 because my GPS kept either flaking out or giving me bad directions.  I would check the map and try and retrace my steps and recode the GPS from the new location and we would start with new creative mistakes.

Well I finally got to my first destination for the day which was the Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill.  It is a beautiful restoration of the original buildings.  They have excellent docents doing the demonstrations, just like at Old Salem.They still own several thousand acres of land but don't cultivate much of it.  They have an herb garden just as the shakers did, it is lovely.  They also grow the vegetables that are used in the restaurant on the campus.  They also have a lodge where you can stay.  It must be lovely.  I spent several hours there and then headed out.

I threatened the GPS that I was going to replace it with a Garmin so suddenly it was working better.  I plugged in Elizabethtown, which has a Coca-cola Memoriabilia Museum.  I thought I would compare it to Atlanta's real Coke museum.  I got into Elizabethtown too late to get there so I have checked into a motel.  Next I have to find a nice place to eat dinner.  I had a small amount of fruit and nuts for lunch and a lot of aggrevation.

Tomorrow will be a better day.  I'll get the hang of this traveling with maps and a wonky GPS.

3 comments:

  1. Missed you at breakfast. sorry about the GPS. Hope you can convince it to work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave up and bought a Garmin. I can't trust the TomTom.

    ReplyDelete