Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Another strange day


Well I went to Crystal Bridges, which is the name of the Walmart family museum.  Guess what - It's closed on Tuesday.  Leave it to Walmart to be different.  Every other museum I've ever been to is closed either Sunday or Monday.  The grounds were open and I did a 1.5 mile loop of gardens that had some art displayed.  The grounds are carefully planned and planted.  Everywhere you go there are grounds crews either clearing weeds and dead plants or planting fresh plants or new areas.  I'm just going to have to stop back on my way to New Orleans.

I returned to Eureka Springs to visit Quigley Castle.  It was well worth the return.  The woman and her children who built it, with the the husband's eventual help, did an amazing and unique job.  She collected every little rock that went into building the house.  The house is two stories high with two sides of windows.  For the first 3 winters they had 7 layers of sack cloth over the window spaces as they couldn't get glass.  They have 2 story hibiscus trees, ferns and other plants just inside the windows.  Everywhere you look you see collections of things she collected.  It might be mussel shells, butterflies or arrow heads, but everything is mounted and hung on the walls.  The granddaughter and her family are still living in the house.  They do a marvelous job of maintaining the surrounding gardens, including the large numbers of bottle trees.

The rest of the day was spent driving to St. Louis.  It took longer than I thought it would which is typical.  I have also found the only Comfort Inn suites that is so exclusive that you can't find it.  You sort of have to stumble across a small sign or get on some elusive ring road.  I am not in St. Louis proper but in a town just outside.  I'm supposed to stay here for two nights but will only do that if I can find it again tomorrow night.

1 comment: