Monday, April 9, 2012

Eureka Springs and getting lost

Well leaving early and getting to your destination early really works.  It was a long slow meandering trip on blue roads but I still got to Eureka Springs before 11:30.  I went immediately to the information center and Historical Museum.  The curator was extraordinarily helpful.  She helped me with a map of the area, told me about the town and showed me around the museum.  She also told me about her family and that she was originally from the West, Vegas and Arizona.  We had a good time for about an hour.  She told me about a great local cafe for lunch and she was absolutely correct.

The town is noted for its Victorian buildings, many of them have been turned into businesses or little hotels.  Slightly out of the Downtown more of the houses are in their original condition.  Some have been restored and are gorgeous.  Hot Springs is really a more interesting city.

The curator sent me up to the Crescent Hotel because it has great views and a crystal dining room.  Well the view was disappointing and the crystal dining room was a joke.  The hotel is old and historic but just looked seedy.  There were a number of people staying there though.  They did have a fancy new Spa and Salon which was just amazing.

I then went looking for this funky castle that was built by a woman during World War II.  She couldn't get all the things she wanted so she made do with what she could get.  It should be a hoot.  Well I never did find it so I'll have to hunt it down tomorrow.  I wound up in Bentonville and it was already 4:30.

As I was driving along on my way to Eureka Springs I was amazed at the vistas of the Ozarks.  It is outstanding when you see how much land is undeveloped and just beautiful.  The Ozarks are soft like the Smokies, the roads are twisty and a real challenge to drive.  It keeps you on your toes, it is the type of driving I really enjoy.  I was also struck by the poverty along the way in the little towns.  Some had signs up that said population 85 or 396.  Young people get out if there is any possible way.

1 comment: