Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Art Museums coming out of my ears (eyes)

Today was a total overload of art.  I went to 3 museums filled with wonderful works of art.  The first museum was the Amon Carter Museum of American Art.  When they say American Art they meant it.  I have never seen so many cowboys and Indians in my whole life.  Amon Carter seems to have made a specialty of Fredrick Remington and Charles Russell, two of the best documenters of the West as it existed before it was settled.  It was a bit of an overload as Russell might paint the same picture over and over again with minor changes.  Upstairs however the Amon Carter had some lovely Georgia O'Keeffe, Winslow Homer, William Harnett and others.  The Amon Carter had borrowed several John Singer Sargent's from the Clark Museum in Massachusetts.  John and I had missed the Amon Carter museum the  time we had been to Dallas/Fort Worth, which is amazing as it is only a block away from the Kimball and the Modern Art, which we did go to.

My next museum was the Kimball Art Museum.  They were showing a special exhibit of Impressionists, also borrowed from the Clark museum.  Of course, Francis and Sterling Clark had collected a large number of Renoir's, my least favorite Impressionist.  Renoir must have been like a machine turning out paintings on a daily basis judging by how many the Clark's have and how many are in the Barnes' collection un Philadelphia.  Anyway, there were plenty of other wonderful people to drool over.  There were Manets and Monets, Pissaros and even Degas.  It was just glorious and the audio guide was included in the price of admission.  I had lunch in their cafe.

My last museum was the Dallas Museum of Art.  Unfortunately I only had 45 minutes in there.  It was a parking issue.  They had Matisse, Modigliani, Mondrian, Picasso and Bracque, Pollack, Monet,Gaugian, and Van Gogh.  I'm sorry that I didn't have more time to enjoy the paintings.  I can't even tell what I missed in my hurry to get in as much as I could before I got a parking ticket.

The temperature has been steadily rising down here. Today the temperature hit 88 and tomorrow it should be over 90.  I'll be on my way to Lubbock so who knows what i"ll find.

No comments:

Post a Comment