Thursday, April 5, 2012

Mammoth Cave plus


Well I had driven to Elizabethtown to see the Coca-Cola Museum only to find out that it had closed in 2011.  But not to be discouraged I decided to substitute the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green.  But First...

I got to Mammoth Cave and parked.  Went to get a ticket for a guided tour.  The only tour with an opening was at 12:15 and it was currently 10:25.  I wanted a tour so I had time to kill.  What do I do, I head for the restaurant and drink Diet Coke for at least 3/4 of an hour.  I spent time in the gift shop and then went out to wait for the tour.  The tour was 2 miles of walking including climbing 7 flights of stairs.  I must say my knees didn't hurt, which was a miracle.  A nine year old girl made friends with me and we traveled the cave together.  She was adorable and afraid of the dark so I gave her a small flashlight I found in my pocket.  She kept me from slipping and breaking my neck in rough areas.  The tour we took had no stalagmites or stalagtites.  Mammoth is not a cave with much of that kind of thing, which is really to bad, since that is what most people go to see.

Anyway after the tour I went out for my car and couldn't find it.  I searches the parking lot for half an hour and finally called 911.  Of course I cried because all I saw was my trip ruined on the first week.  A park ranger was dispatched to help me look.  Well what I didn't realize was that there was an entirely different set of parking lots around out of the way.  This is where I had actually parked.  I have never been so happy to see a car in my life.

I went to the Corvette Museum but I found it quite boring but it did take up some time.  I then headed to Nashville.  Well I have no idea if I am in Nashville or not because I hit an horrendous rain storm and poor signage so tomorrow I will figure out where I am.

I found a Comfort Inn in a questionable part of town, which everyone warned me about.  It was all I could see in the storm.  I did find a lovely Mexican restaurant for dinner.  The waiter doted on me.  Wait staff seem to feel sorry for people alone and lavish attention on them.

It's been a long day and I still have postcards to write.

1 comment:

  1. Lucy,
    A year late (or is it two?) as usual, but glad to find your blog. Fun reading, and great photos.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete