Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Yosemite National Park

Well today was a great disappointment.  I was all excited about going to Yosemite and it took hours to get there.  Once in the park you are on your own.  The signage is so bad that I was lost the entire time I was in the park.  I would follow what signs I could find and then the next sign I would find indicated that I missed the view by 34 miles.  I skipped a number of things because I simply couldn't find them.  A lot of the roads are one way and there aren't ways to turn around if you think you've missed your turn.  I was not a happy tourist.  I'm not sure I missed that much or maybe I'm making excuses.

The river rushing through the park is beautiful.  Great boulders create wild roiling water that is very dramatic.  Everywhere you look are huge fir trees and mature oaks and trees I can't name.  It is so strange after all the desert parks I have been seeing up until now.  The trees are so thick that I didn't see any flowers.  It was different, I'm sure they were there and that i just couldn't get deep enough into the forest.

I did find Bridal Veil Falls.  It is probably the most famous view of Yosemite.  It truly is inspiring.  Funny but it more attractive from the non-official viewing points.  It's a long schlepp up to the official viewing spot where you fight with every other tourist and the spray from the falls.  The whole thing is very funny. All the older women are complaining about getting wet.  I even saw a school group wearing plastic bags on their way up.  It was quite warm and I could just think of them sweating in the plastic.

The last thing I actually saw was the Tunnel View.  This is a long view of the Yosemite Valley.  It is very nice to see.  I tried to see Glacier Point but it wasn't meant to be.  Such is life.  Tomorrow I am going back to the coast to continue my pilgrimage.

1 comment:

  1. I finally found your posts. I've missed all since Las vegas Lucy style. Now you are doing the Best!!!

    ReplyDelete