Sunday, May 6, 2012

Bryce and Zion

Today was a great but exhausting day.  First I went to Bryce, which was terrific.  The beginning was the Sunrise Point which was breathtaking.  The colors and shapes were incredible.  There even was a formation that looked like two women holding each other.  I don't know if my picture really captures it.  While I was walking to and from the rim I scared up a lot of blue birds.  They were so beautiful flashing in the sun.  To get to see the attractions in Bryce you have to walk to the rims in many cases.  I huff and puff like a steam engine.  I still haven't adjusted to the altitude and can't catch my breath half the time.  It doesn't stop me from trying.

Natural Bridge was just beautiful.  Every direction you turned you saw beauty.  Tremendous vistas, delicate formations and you know that water carved them.  The pictures can't begin to capture the awe that a person feels when viewing these views.

I then went looking for Zion.  Well that was a comedy of errors.  I drove up and down US89 for over an hour and couldn't find a sign for Zion.  I finally stopped at a Rock store ready to ask for directions.  Well the owner must have been bothered so often that he put the instructions on his gate.  After I learned the correct turn and made it, there was the sign that said this way to Zion.  Totally useless.

Zion is very different from Bryce.  The rocks appear more tortured.  Many of them look like pulled taffy or melted sugar, all twisted and stressed.  Besides seeing the twisted layers of rock, the most amazing thing is the Weeping Rock.  Because of permeable stone absorbing water and then meeting impermeable stone there is constant dripping water.  Totally different plants are able to grow in the area or have attached themselves to the rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment