Saturday, May 19, 2012

Sausalito, a little town on the water

I drove through San Fransisco this morning on my way to Sausalito.  I was on a whole street of painted ladies.  They were beautifully restored and done in luscious colors.  Then I drove across the Golden Gate Bridge.

I went to Sausalito, which was a disappointment.  It had less charm then Monterey or Carmel.  It really wasn't bad.  It had a charming historic downtown, as do all the seaside towns in Northern California.  They have an enormous marina with what looks like hundreds of boats, all very large, even a smattering of house boats.  Here it was a Saturday and only a few boats seemed to be in use.  Most of the boats are of obscene size and they don't get any use, what a waste.  Sausalito is a thin strip of land backed by hills.  There are lovely homes built on the hills that of course have marvelous views of the ocean.

I stopped at a nice cafe for lunch.  There is common seating and I was joined by a nice man and his 5 year old daughter.  He and his partner had lived their adult lives in New York City until he was offered a job in Sausalito.  We had a lovely talk about New York and travel and the usual nonsense but it made for a lovely time.  All in all I had a very enjoyable time in Sausalito.

My next visit was to Muir Woods.  I had been there before but I forgot how awe inspiring the massive trees can be.  But it isn't only the trees, it's the whole atmosphere.  There are an abundance of ferns and plants that cover the floor of the woods.  Occasionally you can come upon a flower but they are few and far between.  This is really a very primitive forest.  Thick layers of moss has grown on some of the dead fallen branches or stumps, it is really very beautiful when it fully encases the wood.  I found myself almost tiptoeing through the woods, it asks you to show respect and reverence.  All the plant material absorbs sound except for 5 screaming children.  I was really lucky to find a parking space in the parking lot because when I was leaving people were parked for almost 2 miles along the side of the road.

1 comment:

  1. I've been up to my elbows in Yard Sale all last week, so I spent last night catching up with your journeys. From the desert to the coast -- what a change of scenery! Looks and sounds like you're having a great time.

    Geraldine

    ReplyDelete