Monday, May 28, 2012

Seattle revisited

Well I have revisited Seattle and re-evaluated the city.  I must say I certainly had a better time this visit.  The day started out rainy as I drove from the hotel to Seattle center but by the time I had parked my car the sun had come out.  That alone made a difference, in my last visit when I never saw the sun.  This morning I took a Duck tour of the city.  I learned that the last of the Ducks currently running in America was built in 1947.  It was certainly before the disposable generation.  We had the most boring group of people on the tour.  No one had purchased the duck quaker so it was a quiet tour.  The guide worked so hard to get them to participate.  One girl and I, sitting in the back, seemed to be the only ones trying.  It was a good orientation of the city and the harbor.  We even got to see the floating house from Sleepless in Seattle.  There were some beautiful house boats and yachts docked on this man made lake.  We passed this car wash wish washed Elvis' pink cadillac every day of his performance stay.  It was even used to was a presidential car.

After the Duck ride I took a walk to the Pike's Market.  It was much further than I had expected so it did me good and I got a close look at different parts of the city.  The Duck Tour was by the Space Needle and Pike's Market seems to be on the other side of the city.  The market is huge, it goes on for the equivalent of four or five blocks.  One side seems to be almost exclusively flowers.  They are absolutely gorgeous.  The colors dazzle your eyes, you get no scent because the other side is fish and meat stalls.  There is no bad fishy smell anywhere in the market.  Each of the stalls had a clean fresh fish smell, it was really a pleasure to walk through.  The crowds were bad but most people were basically polite.

Across the street, facing the market were more fruit and vegetable stands as well as a cheese maker and several bakeries.  On every street corner there was a street performer or group.  One corner had an R & B group that had great harmony.  They were the only ones I hung out for and threw money in for.

No comments:

Post a Comment