Saturday, May 12, 2012

Death Valley

Death Valley is very interesting.  I never got to the real bottom of the Valley, the closest I got was sea level.  The roads I took may not have been the right ones.  But I went up Dante's Point View.  It was quite an exciting drive, never mind the view when you got there.  The last quarter of a mile was a 15 percent incline, which doesn't sound so much but puts quite a strain on your car.  My car took it like a champ.  Once I was on top the view was spectacular.  I even took chances and went near the edge even though it was all loose gravel.  It was a long way down and beautiful to see.  You could see what I presume are the salt flats, they are sparkling white and look incredibly smooth from up so high.  Driving down was also exciting.

The next stop was also a beautiful view.  All the hills on one side were yellow and crinkled.  The other side was boring with the usual mixed rock hills.  After that there was the the Visitors Center and not much else.  It just was hours of driving.  It took hours to get there and hours to get through.  It reached 100 degrees in the Valley, according to my car.  Between the heat and rock climbing and endless driving it has been a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment