Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Medford,OR

I'll bet no one knows what Medford, Oregon is famous for - Harry & David's and the Fruit of the Month gift. They do a lot more than that but that is one of their most remembered gifts.  They are the largest employer in Medford.   Every step that can be done by hand is done by hand.  It is amazing to see the factories.  They have extra space all laid out for rush periods like Christmas.  They have thousands of acres of fruit trees so they can grow their own fruit during the season.  The rest of the year they use fruit from specific growers who have been supplying them for over 16 years.

I wound up in Medford because it was a midpoint between other destinations and it had Harry & David's. I have to find places with something of interest to stop at otherwise I'll just drive though a state without getting a feel for it.  So far I've found the people of Oregon very kind and warm, there weather on the other hand stinks.  After a nice day or two I've had nothing but on again off again rain and it looks like it will continue this way for a while.

I didn't blog last night because they were having trouble with their internet at the hotel otherwise the place was incredible to me.  I had a real suite, a separate bedroom.  You could get lonely in the room.  The sitting room had a couch and two arm chairs and a flat screen TV and the bedroom had a flat screen TV.  I did feel like it was wasteful to give all that space to just one person but I still enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment