Monday, May 14, 2012

San Juan Capistrano

It took a while but I managed to find the Mission of San Juan Capistrano, where the swallows return every March.  My GPS didn't recognize San Juan Capistrano at all and the town doesn't believe in signage until you almost stumble upon the Mission.  But it is wonderful once you find it.  They have done a marvelous job preserving what is left.  The Historical Society and others have researched and uncovered real treasures everywhere within the grounds.  To enhance the ruins they have planted gardens everywhere.  Huge profusions of color and scents.  If you look carefully you can see a swallow nest under the eaves or two hummingbirds fighting over a patch of flowers.  If you lived in the area it would be worth be a member, you could come in and just enjoy the garden.

The weather was perfect today, the temperature was 73 degrees and sunny.  What more can I ask for.  I have begun my drive along the Pacific Coast Highway (US 1).  It was fun to drive along and see views of the Pacific.  There were lots of beautiful homes with fences covered with flowers.  Then I would drive through funky little beachside towns Redondo, Long Beach, Newport.  After a while I got closer to L.A. and the road moved inland a bit.  The road started to go through real towns.  I even came across a Costco.  Oh Joy!  Gas in California is over $4 a gallon, up to $4.79.  I actually passed all the regular stores which I hadn't seen anywhere else.  But it was better when you caught the views of the Pacific.  The ocean was so calm that there were no surfers out.

I was going to visit the Channel Islands and forgot all about them and left the L.A. area.  I'm not very organized.  But the more I look at the information on them I'm not sure if I missed much.

I also see I'm losing readership.  Sorry if I'm not doing exciting things.

1 comment:

  1. I'm still reading every day and loving it...it's like I'm with you. And Herb has started asking "Where is she now?" Keep having a fabulous time. Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete