Saturday, June 16, 2012

Sweets and Farewell

This is my final post.  I want to thank everyone for following me.  I hope you have had half as much fun as I have.  I will be home with hundreds of stories after I read my own bog.  Everything seems to run together right now.  It has been an extraordinary experience and I feel privileged to have been able to do this.  Thanks for making the trip with me.

 I spent this morning at Hershey's Chocolate World.  It is very slick and well coordinated leaving you in the retail store after your free tour of the process of making candy.  You can pay for a tasting session, which was very well done.  They give you a selection of Hershey and other chocolates.  Everyone then snapped the bar and listened to the difference between milk and dark chocolate.  We smelled the pieces for hints of other flavors, then we tasted the chocolate to see if we could get more flavors.  The older you get the less sensitive your tastebuds.  Well mine are pretty shot.
Anyway you can take a trolley ride or see a 3D movie.  They even have different amusement parks.  They don't miss a trick.

I went to Hershey with my parents when I was young.  As you approached the town all you could smell was chocolate, that is all gone.  The tour you took was of the actual factory and there weren't too many people taking the tour.  You got to see the huge vats of chocolate and the real machines making the chocolate and then the candy.  It really meant something, now it's all fake.  But now that's all anyone knows.  We have to keep things sterile and away from people.

I then went in to Philadelphia to see the new Barnes Foundation Museum.  Well they are just as strange as ever.  You need to have known in advance to have ordered tickets.  They set none aside for walk ups, those people not in on the secret.  Of course I have no idea how many tickets they sell but today was all sold out.  It looked like the museum was empty but you can't tell as all the art is upstairs.

Since I couldn't see that collection I thought I'd go next door to see the Rodin Museum but that was under renovation.  I took all this as a sign to get out of Philadelphia.  I thought I would go to Chadds Ford to see the Wyeths.  Then I thought about my luck so far and decided it was time to call it quits.

I am on the first leg of my trip home.  Tomorrow I wind up with Ginger and Gene and Gillian and Genevieve.  Then it is home.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome home Lucy! You have earned your adventurers badge and much more.

    ReplyDelete