Friday, June 8, 2012

Old Towns and Matchsticks

My first stop was the village of Amana, which is one of the seven colonies of a German sect that set up homes in Iowa.  They believed in communal living.  They lived in large houses without kitchens, all meals were taken in a communal dining room.  Unlike the Shakers they did marry and had children.  They followed revelations from Prophets.  I don't know if the prophets were home grown or what.  There is an Amana, East Amana, West Amana, South Amana, North Amana, High Amana and Homestead.  The only one that has retained its character is Amana.  The houses and buildings are still used for their original purposes as much as possible.  They still have the Woolen Mill, which still makes blankets and other items.  They also have a furniture factory which is still turning out grandfather clocks and several other items.  In the store they had some beautiful furniture based on traditional designs including a roll top desk.  Of course it was also very directed at tourists and they did have a kitchen store which lured me in.  But everyone should be very proud of me - I didn't spend a penny.  They had so many cookie cutters I could have spent a fortune but I was very disciplined.

After Amana I headed to Gladbrook and the Matchstick Museum.  I really didn't know what to expect so I was really stunned.  Everything in the museum is made from those wooden matchsticks you use to light barbecues.  The artist now gets them without the heads but he used to have to cut off the red striking heads.  The detail is extraordinary, the U.S. Capitol is at least 8 feet long.  He's also done Notre Dame Cathedral, a space shuttle launch and the Wright Brother's plane.  Many of Patrick Acton's works have been purchased by Ripley's Believe It Or Not.  The woman at the museum didn't know if private people purchased pieces or not.

Iowa really is a corn state.  Everywhere you look there are corn fields.  I spoke with a woman today who said that everyone is very worried because the corn isn't growing.  They haven't had enough rain.  I'm amazed at the numbers of acres that are planted.  They have convoluted hills planted with corn.

Another thing I wanted to mention was something that happened yesterday.  I've been buying Sinclair gas out here.  I remember Sinclair from my childhood but haven't seen it in years.  Anyway,  I went into a station in Iowa and got out to fill the tank a man ran out to fill the tank for me.  It is not illegal like Oregon and New Jersey, it is just a policy.  They even wash your windshield.  I felt like I was back in the '50's.

I just finished reading Anna Quindlen's latest book "Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake".  I highly recommend it to any one who is aging.  She writes about aging in a wise way and in reference to getting wiser through the lessons we've learned through life.  It is a book I will read more than once because there are lessons to be learned and reflected on.

No comments:

Post a Comment