Monday, June 4, 2012

A good day at the Park

Well luck was with me and the day dawned sunny and warm.  I gambled and won, yeah!  The Park is gorgeous but there aren't any glaciers.  The valley and the huge lake were formed by glaciers.  Many parts  of the Park are still closed including most of the Road to the Sun.  Only 14 miles were open but there was so much to see.  The mountains surrounding the lake were snow tipped, touched by the sun so they sparkled.  The lake itself was crystal clear and absolutely still and reflected all that was around it.  The river that fed the lake was wildly turbulent.  The water rushed over the cataracts in great roiling waves appearing white, blues and greens.  Photos just can't capture the beauty of the Park nor can words make it become real.

After spending time in the Park I decided to drive to Billings because I was interested in taking a tour about Lewis and Clark.  However, there was so much major road work that I missed my chance to go on the tour.  I think everyone in Montana works on the roads.  Anyway the drive was fantastic.  When Montana is flat it is very flat and you can see forever and you understand the concept of the Big Sky, whether it is Montana or Wyoming.

The cliches are real.  The wind really does whistle down the plain and you can see forever.  You  can see a storm coming from miles and miles away.  There were these black clouds and occasionally there would be a lightening strike.  I watched it for hours as I made my way along, particularly as I sat and waited to be released from the roadwork but the storm never got to where I was.

There really isn't much to do in Billings, it seems to be just a big city.  I think I'm going to Little Big Horn tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Apparently I'm not the only one who couldn't figure out postings. Phyllis says to say "Hi."

    Yosemite, Glacier, these I'd like to see. And through your eyes I have. Merci.

    ReplyDelete