Friday, June 15, 2012

Buggys

I drove across Pennsylvania today and all I saw was part of a Buggy Museum.  By the time I got there it was too late to take a full tour of the buggy barn.  I did see a DVD of the story of Mifflinburg and the buggy industry.  They supplied so many buggies to so many parts of America that they were known as Buggy Town.  They had to build houses for all the workers that were brought in to work on the buggies.  They flourished until the horseless carriage took over.  The automobile condemned the town.

The town has gone through a major restoration project.  They built the Buggy Museum and have restored a lot of the old buildings.  Many of the buildings are now residences and have been restored by the occupants.  The buildings have historic markers.  It is a charming town and I was glad I made the trip even if it was so short.

I realize that I am very depressed.  My trip is almost over and I am going home.  I'm sorry I didn't spend more time in the West.  I particularly miss the openness of the dessert.  My planning is becoming sloppy and I am missing things they I planned to see and I don't really care.  If I have to come home I  might as well come home.  I am currently in Hershey, Pennsylvania and there are millions of children running around.  I knew there would be but to see the reality is something else.  I'll be home before the 30th.

No comments:

Post a Comment