Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Busy, Busy,Busy

Today I seemed to be everywhere at once.  I started my day trying to see the Stan Hywet Hall and Garden in Akron but the house didn't open until 11:00 and it was 9:00.  The house is considered one of the finest examples of Tudor Revival architecture in the US.  It would have been nice but not necessary so I moved on.

I went to Cambridge to look at glass objects being formed.  The first place, Boyd Glass, was not working the glass today.  They showed me a DVD about the family and the company.  Unfortunately what they made was tsotchkes (dust collectors), many were very cute however.  The other company was Mosser Glass and they were working the glass and giving tours.  They were making milky white 9" cake stands.  It was really fascinating, knowing how much molten glass goes into the mold for the top.  They flip the mold over and a guy has to catch it just  so on a two tine implement.  They do the same for the pedestal and then they put the two together. There is trimming, checking for level and cool ing.  I have always been interested in glass work, ever since I went to Corning, New York and saw them make Steuben Glass.  At least at Mosser they made a lot of very practical items, like plates, salt and pepper sets, bowls and of course the cake plates.

I stopped in at the James Thurber House in Columbus.  There wasn't a lot there, it was an old house but they had a lot of Thurber's cartoon posted around.  They had awards and magazine covers.  His old desk was sitting there with all the rips and stains and you could almost see him sitting there.  They leave the front door open and just let you wander in and out.  It all fits together.

My afternoon was set aside for the Columbus Zoo.  I have looked forward to seeing this zoo for years.  I remember as a little girl watching Marlin Perkins on the Today Show and Jack Paar with exotic animals.  He was followed by Jack Hanna.  I expected this zoo to be a combination of the Bronx Zoo and the San Diego Zoo.  Well I was incredibly disappointed.  There were very few animals in the zoo.  What animals were there were almost impossible to see because there was so much foliage, most of it served no purpose.  Most of the zoo was made up of playgrounds, rides, food stands and gift shops.  On top of everything else I stumbled on to the Great Apes, which always depresses me.  People are so stupid and make such fools of themselves with the Great Apes.  The apes just sit and stare and then walk away.  You can't blame the children who kiss the glass and talk to the apes.  But the adults!

Anyway my day ended on a down note but then I remember the wonderful times I have had in other zoos and it washes away the bad taste that this left in my mouth.  There was one highlight.  A dog and a cheetah share a cage.  They were raised together and they just enjoy each others company.  They think they are the same whatever that means to them.  It's cute because they are always checking where the other one is.

No comments:

Post a Comment