Sunday, June 10, 2012

Nature Reserve

Well I had a disappointment today.  I thought there would be lots of things happening at a Nature Reserve.  Maybe they would be rehabilitating birds or animals or have herds of some sort of native animal but no.  It was like, no not like, it was taking a walk in the woods.  I saw three dragonflies, three butterflies and a chipmunk.  I see more wildlife in my own backyard.  It's not as though I didn't need a walk after sitting for 8 hours yesterday.  I can't say that I'm having a great time in the North Central states but I'm not giving up.

It is interesting to start seeing Black people again.  It is as if they aren't allowed across the Mississippi.  Except for a few exceptions there were so many states where there were no people of color at all, except for Asian tourists.  It was eerie.  The awareness creeps up on you slowly when you don't even hear spanish being spoken by the maids in the hotels.

2 comments:

  1. It's probably too late for this because I'm sure you're on your way, but if you are still around Battle Creek, don't forget the Kellogg's plant tour! I think they still give you little boxes of cereal.

    Geraldine

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE look forward to sharing our bird feeder and entire chipmunk colony with u!! Just kidding Lucy. You r the best sport out there--can't believe how much you r doing and how well you handle each new experience--the good, the bad and the ugly.

    xoxox,
    Robyn and Al

    ReplyDelete